Chili Con Carne is probably the one dish I can ALWAYS eat. Once I said that I could eat chili for lunch almost every day – and so I did for almost a year. I do not want to deprive you of the recipe for my chili and introduce it to you in this blog post! What’s good to know: This dish is not only delicious, but has excellent nutritional value as well!
- About 500g of meat
- Minced beef (for the high-calorie/high-fat version)
- Lean minces meat (combines both alternatives)
- Turkey breast cut into small pieces (low fat, high protein)
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of white beans
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion
- Cayenne pepper
- (A lot of) Cumin
Although corn is always part of the classic chili, I have replaced this in my recipe with white beans. Why? White beans have less than 1/3 of the kcal of corn for 100g. And since this dish already has some kcal anyway, that’s a good alternative for me.
Chop the onions and roast them with a little olive oil in a large pot until they turn glassy.
Now add the meat. Wait for turkey meat until it is seared. For the minced meat it’s not that important, but the meat should be largely done. Remember: In any case, the meat will continue to boil anyway.
Now add the beans and the peeled tomatoes, including the juice. You have 2 different options for this step:
- If you like finer, cut the peeled tomatoes before you add them.
- The other option is to mash or even cut the tomatoes directly in the pot. They are very soft and can therefore be cut or mashed well.
Now add the spices:
- About 1 1/2 tsps. of salt
- About 1 tsp. of ground pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper
- Cumin to taste (I usually add 2-3 tsp. or even more, as I simply love the taste)
Chilis (ground or chopped) until the desired degree of severity is reached. ATTENTION: The chili is usually even spicier the next day 😉.
Cook at medium temperature for 15-20 minutes and stir occasionally.
Your Chili con Carne is done now, a recipe that can be prepared really fast. Since Chili can be prepared in large quantities with little extra effort, this recipe is also great for preparing your lunch for the week in advance!
An additional tip: With a teaspoon of sour cream the Chilli tastes even better!
Try the recipe and let me know in the comments, how you liked it!